An armed man was shot and killed early Sunday after driving into the secure perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, the Florida resort of Donald Trump, in Palm Beach, according to the United States Secret Service.
Officials said the man, described as being in his early 20s and from North Carolina, was carrying a gas can and a shotgun, as reported by the AP. Secret Service spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said the individual had been reported missing by family days earlier and is believed to have traveled south before the incident.

Authorities say the breach happened around 1:30 a.m. while Melania Trump and the president were at the White House.
According to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office, Sheriff Ric Bradshaw said the man was ordered to drop his weapons but instead raised the shotgun, prompting agents and a deputy to open fire.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation is assisting with the investigation and has asked nearby residents to check security footage. The suspect has not yet been publicly identified, and investigators say a motive remains under review.
The incident comes amid heightened security concerns following prior threats, including a 2024 case involving Ryan Routh near Trump’s properties. Authorities also noted ongoing security vigilance around federal sites such as the United States Capitol.